|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=796dacd8732ad220e291452c0478ed98 profile.php?mode=register&sid=796dacd8732ad220e291452c0478ed98 faq.php?sid=796dacd8732ad220e291452c0478ed98 search.php?sid=796dacd8732ad220e291452c0478ed98

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » The Watch Collectors' Journal » There's More To Life Than 1872 Walthams
There's More To Life Than 1872 Walthams
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
herbgold
Chapter Member

As one of the original members of this august group I learned a lot about collecting. "Learning" is what this chapter is really all about. The focus may appear to be the hardware but that lesson boils down to: Get rid of your junk and before you die sell your 1872s and 21j Elgin convertibles to Jon.

Our Jon is a perfect example of my point. His view of the collecting world goes far beyond the watches I gladly sold to him. Did you know he is one of the world's leading experts on U.S. coins? Did you know that he knows more about antique furniture than Chippendale? Did you know that the thought of his horological book collection makes the librarian of the British Museum weep in his Guinness.

Now for my commercial. There is all kinds of stuff out there that is beautifully crafted, mechanically interesting with an exciting history. I chose to study scientific instruments. These include microscopes; drawing, surveying, calculating and navigating instruments. What I learned collecting watches I applied to this area.

I'm an old man and in consideration of my uninterested heirs I'm selling a piece of my collection. I chose Heritage Auctions, www.ha.com. to do the selling with no reserves. Now online, ending January 19, are 40 microscopes, 2 theodolites, 2 mechanical calculators and a Riefler drawing set. Go to the web site and put microscope into the search box on the left side of the page.

For this group the drawing set should be extra special. Clemen Riefler was an extraordinary precision clock maker. One of his clocks hung in almost every astronomical observatory in the world. He was also a maker of the best drawing instruments available. The set in the auction is lot 65277. Put 65277 in the search box and it will come up. Click on the little box under the photo and more info will appear.

I believe what I said but there still is nothing like the thrill that comes from discovering an all original 1872.

Herb Gold
Secretary/Treasurer
Chapter 149

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Neilywatch
Chapter Member

Herb -

Thank you for the link. You have beautiful stuff. But for me, in addition to the learning, there is the having it, too. It is a feeling of accomplishment when you go to showcase and see them all together!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

herbgold wrote:

I believe what I said but there still is nothing like the thrill that comes from discovering an all original 1872.

Herb,

I have only found one nice American Grade '72 in the wild but I can confirm what you said above. Thanks for the great read!

John Cote (Member #105)
Membership Chairman - Ch-149
Past President - Ch-18
http://www.interstatetime.com
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
PJR
Chapter Member

Herb, having had my share of '72's I fully concur with your great story.
Paul
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

My dear friend Herb is a VERY smart fellow (in many areas) and we have been close friends for many years. Smart/intelligent folks know when to listen & act. Herb listened closely and took my advice early on, and when he decided to sell his watch collection a few years ago AGAIN he listened-- the final result was staggering with many new records were achieved, except (though) for a few GEM 72's and an unused multi he had obtained from Howard Hughes's personal jeweler which Herb sold privately! Surprised
'
Just look at those instruments coming up for auction on the 19th--Herb quality and top condition examples.

A true discriminating collector! Exclamation

Tagline: And, I still get a "rush" upon unearthing and acquiring a new '72 for my coll.!

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
Re: There's More To Life Than 1872 Walthams
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Bryan
Chapter Member

herbgold wrote:
As one of the original members of this august group I learned a lot about collecting. "Learning" is what this chapter is really all about. The focus may appear to be the hardware but that lesson boils down to: Get rid of your junk and before you die sell your 1872s and 21j Elgin convertibles to Jon.

Our Jon is a perfect example of my point. His view of the collecting world goes far beyond the watches I gladly sold to him. Did you know he is one of the world's leading experts on U.S. coins? Did you know that he knows more about antique furniture than Chippendale? Did you know that the thought of his horological book collection makes the librarian of the British Museum weep in his Guinness.

Now for my commercial. There is all kinds of stuff out there that is beautifully crafted, mechanically interesting with an exciting history. I chose to study scientific instruments. These include microscopes; drawing, surveying, calculating and navigating instruments. What I learned collecting watches I applied to this area.

I'm an old man and in consideration of my uninterested heirs I'm selling a piece of my collection. I chose Heritage Auctions, www.ha.com. to do the selling with no reserves. Now online, ending January 19, are 40 microscopes, 2 theodolites, 2 mechanical calculators and a Riefler drawing set. Go to the web site and put microscope into the search box on the left side of the page.

For this group the drawing set should be extra special. Clemen Riefler was an extraordinary precision clock maker. One of his clocks hung in almost every astronomical observatory in the world. He was also a maker of the best drawing instruments available. The set in the auction is lot 65277. Put 65277 in the search box and it will come up. Click on the little box under the photo and more info will appear.

Herb Gold
Secretary/Treasurer
Chapter 149

Anyone need their ball washed? Laughing Laughing

So get to the good part, who did you sell the rest of the watches through and do you have any more?

Would you like to post photos of your former 72's to help educate the chapter and add content to this thread?

I think I speak for many other when I say that we always appreciate seeing more 72's here on 149!

NAWCC#132532
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
HOWARD
Chapter Member

Herb,

I fully concur. You tell it like it is. We original chapter 149 founding members all enjoyed each others company at those California chapter dinner meetings at The El Coyote. You always had a hamburger without cheese as the margaritas flowed.

There was unparalleled study and knowledge learned at those Friday night meetings--the information flowed. Too bad for those that missed out. Great times and we need to have an anniversary meeting soon if we can get Jon out of the snow.

Howard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
Bryan
Chapter Member

I he tried to get Lance to go every time I am in LA but the excuses are always the same!

Agreed tho - let's set a date!

NAWCC#132532
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
doc ron
Chapter Member

the 25th was missed so shoot for our 30th july 8 2020

doc ron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Bryan
Chapter Member

thx, i will put it in my phone calendar!

NAWCC#132532
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Good one Doc Ron as I need an excuse to get my fill of TiTo's, the Apple Pan, Casa Escobar, and my fav THE COYOTE! Or, maybe I could plan it during a Goldberg auction like in '14! Rolling Eyes

NE cooks are incapable of making/replicating correct and wonderful Mexican food! I have tried them all and they are are awful! Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

Herb,

Great story. I doubt any of my watches would interest you but this might.

https://greatmelbournetelescope.org.au/restoration-project/

Proud member of CH149 and Global Horology
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

If any members have an interest in reading/viewing some great instruments collected by Herb Gold, you might want to take a look as they will be going on the auction block shortly. Beauty, quality and some with fantastic pedigree are truly wonderful, though highly specialized, mechanical devices.

Take a look!

There's More To Life Than 1872 Walthams
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » The Watch Collectors' Journal