|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=09083b3ea0e46840616d6b818c159183 profile.php?mode=register&sid=09083b3ea0e46840616d6b818c159183 faq.php?sid=09083b3ea0e46840616d6b818c159183 search.php?sid=09083b3ea0e46840616d6b818c159183

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Richard Newman, nawcc chairman » Welcome Richard to Chapter 149
Welcome Richard to Chapter 149
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

I have created this new forum in order to go directly to the top. Maybe we can get some important issues corrected/replaced and others created.

Congratulations to Richard upon his election as the new nawcc chair.

Jon Hanson, Founder and President of chapter 149

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
Richard Newman, nawcc chairman
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Rich Newman

Jon, thanks for the kind words and warm welcome. We’re only a couple of weeks into seating the new directors and think the nominations & election committee has significantly improved our capabilities by getting more diverse, skilled and energetic representation. I also have high expectations for our incoming Executive Director, Tom Wilcox, who will be on-board in September. Critical that he comes up-to-speed quickly.

My background is product development, project management and IT with JPMorgan. In the past 30+ years I’ve led international product launches, IT divisions and operations. I’ve also worked with non-profits before and understand all too well that having a predominately volunteer organization with limited management bandwidth, practices, skills and experiences will be frustrating and many things, at both chapter and national levels seem entrenched in a 1990’s mentality. Effectively dealing with culture changes is one of the most difficult challenges for any business – most never get it right. However, I’m very enthusiastic and optimistic and on the positive side see a lot of great assets and in-coming leadership to work with.

I’m very aware that #149 has been on the forefront of thought-leadership and execution, and like many members are anxious for across the board changes. What I can tell you today is that many directors feel the same way and have volunteered their valuable time to make a difference.

I would like to take this opportunity to dispel a recurring myth that I’ve heard at regionals and the national that is critical to the culture issue I previously mentioned. That’s the myth that the board receives benefits and/or compensation. As the treasurer for the last 2 years, and therefore one that sees every penny and approves every expense, the fact of the matter is that board members do receive approved expense reimbursement as documented in policy (although many pay their own way), but are not reimbursed for many items including meals, and most applicable to this question, board members are net givers to the NAWCC by well over 7 figures. I don’t know and don’t care what happened in the distant past, what I’ve stated is fact since I’ve been associated with the Board.

I’m happy to provide my opinion and answer questions that you may have. Or, if one-one communications are more appropriate, my email is rpnewman@yahoo.com.

Regards, Rich
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

Rich,

As your fellow board member (the newbie) and as the membership chair here at 149 let me be the second to welcome you to the Early American Watch Club. This is a great chapter with a lot of really knowledgeable/long time collectors and long time NAWCCers as members. You would/will fit right in here.

We are pretty civilized here. We have a lot of strong opinions and are not afraid to voice them but we all learn from each other and the lively discussions lead to great outcomes.

Welcome!

John Cote (Member #105)
Membership Chairman - Ch-149
Past President - Ch-18
http://www.interstatetime.com
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Bryan
Chapter Member

Hi Rich, welcome aboard! Mr. Green

How was your National this year?

What is your perspective regarding the dilution and competition of the Convention vis-a-vis the WWT Show?

Thanks,
Bryan

NAWCC#132532
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

For one I am extremely pleased to see a watch person as chair of the NAWCC and the chapter is looking forward to association improvement in many areas.

Richard, Why don't you tell the members what your speciality is in watches that your collect and research and how long this speciality has intrigued you.

Thanks.

Jon

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
Richard Newman, nawcc chairman
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Rich Newman

Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see as much of the convention as I would have liked but did talk to many table holders who complimented the venue, easy setup and helpful volunteers. I also made it a point to quickly walk the WWT show between meetings and chat with Isaac. Clear we can work more cooperatively together and that benefits everyone. I do know that our convention chairs for next year in York (our 75th anniversary) has worked with Isaac to coordinate table assignments so that WWT table holders who also display at NAWCC can have the same location and not have to pack-up between shows. We will also be looking at synergies with AWCI.

My interest in watches originated from my Dad’s interest in clocks. He’s 94 and still goes to a few shows with me. Understanding clock makers and their tools led me to look at watchmakers and their tools. I have about 50 early clocks, about a hundred watches and movements, some 400 books on horology and a respectable watch paper collection. I’m drawn to early inventors and craftsmen and understanding the challenges and difficult environments in which they worked. Early on I came upon reference books, written mostly by over-reaching English authors, that stated that early American watches were imported and not particularly interesting. That ticked me off and was the motivation to learn more. While the vast majority of colonial and federal era watches were imported, I still find these early “private label” watches fascinating and many were cased by American silversmiths. I also have quite a few 18th century watches that were made on American soil.

My one find that made the convention for me – or more accurately, a table holder found me – was buying a partial movement signed by Solomon Curtis, Philadelphia, serial number 2, with a virgule escapement that dates to the 1790’s. The only other early American maker that I know of that produced a virgule escapement watch was Wheelock & Morse (Moses Morse). My dream is to see a book written about these early American watchmakers someday. It’s one of the very few aspects of American watchmaking that has yet to be told and still needs lots of research.

Thanks for asking, Rich
Welcome Richard to Chapter 149
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Richard Newman, nawcc chairman