|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=0e49515fc4e449358e216f9af0474df6 profile.php?mode=register&sid=0e49515fc4e449358e216f9af0474df6 faq.php?sid=0e49515fc4e449358e216f9af0474df6 search.php?sid=0e49515fc4e449358e216f9af0474df6

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Dial Discussions » dial collecting
dial collecting
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
doc ron
Chapter Member

jon what was the genesis for your dial collecting when and what got you started

doc ron

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

I remember vividly buying an 18s pink fancy dial 1883 Waltham OF watch in a heavily worn brass case from an old, old watchmaker in BH in that famous and beautiful Spanish style arcade on the corner of Beverly Drive and Santa Monica Blvd in BH. This was 1957.

I never chased FD--they just seemed to accumulate, mostly from removal from incorrect match ups (mov't and dial). I acquired a few FDed choice gold watches from George "Patina" Kelsch is the early days, but my first real score was that 1873 Chicago Interstate Industrial Expo pen and ink Elgin I showed the members earlier. Yes, George K. sold me this in the early 60s; it was from his personal collection and he wanted me to have it.

Remember, in the early days FDs were plentiful and cheap. I remember Russell Nelson buying/having a "roll" of about 30 or 40 UNUSED ALL MATCHING 18S Elgin dials. He sold few at the 1976 national convention at $20. each. I think I bought 2 or 3 but they were not particularly fancy.

More later--got to run an errand.......

Remember buying FDs for as little as $3. AND I DON"T MEAN JUST ONE! The ladies Wal & Elgin FD were everywhere. Damaged or hairline were everywhere. I learned early on that the prefect ones were the ones to keep, plus exotics. I once happened on to 2 large butterfly type cases with glass holding massive amounts of fancy dials at a chapter 4 meeting. The fellow, Tave Krohn, was opening up his mart table with piles of KAKA (literally). The rush was on and about 25-30 people rushed to buy this and that, I spotted these two display cases underneath the piles of watch stuff. I wormed my way in and reached a long arm on to these two cases and removed them, asked a price and bought them literally under the bodies and eyes of the watch scroungers. At 100. per case and nearly 100 dials total it wowed the crowd as such a deal at 2. each. There were many GOOD, perfect and scarce dials in that lot. The moral of that story was one has to know what to look for when hunting this stuff. Buy and keep the top ones and keep hunting.

Now a days good ones do show up on eBay and at auctions but many are not perfect or the hot shot dealers run up the exotics. Many being cased poorly makes it even more tough to rip a great one at the right price.

I consider my dials a separate horological collection. I am sure the RR boys use up their dials placing them on appropriate watches to keep or sell. I have many of these also but I generally also keep them in the dial cabinet; besides, they are easier to photograph when naked! Wink

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
dial collecting
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Dial Discussions