|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=2531626d1e1daaf4b50ae00c8eefa0f6 profile.php?mode=register&sid=2531626d1e1daaf4b50ae00c8eefa0f6 faq.php?sid=2531626d1e1daaf4b50ae00c8eefa0f6 search.php?sid=2531626d1e1daaf4b50ae00c8eefa0f6

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Stephen Gaal's BLOG » Who's doing it to me. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:56 am Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

This from one of my English friends pretty well sums up how Brexit is going.

Jeremy Corbyn walks into a Bank to cash a cheque.
As he approaches the cashier he says,
"Good morning, Ms. Could you please cash this cheque for me?"

Cashier:"It would be my pleasure. Could you please show me your ID?"

Corbyn :"Truthfully, I did not bring my ID with me as I didn't think there was any need to.
I am Jeremy Corbyn, leader of the Labour Party.”

Cashier:"Yes, I know who you are, but with all the regulations and monitoring of the banks
because of impostors and forgers and requirements of the legislation, etc., I must insist on seeing ID."

Corbyn: “Just ask anyone here at the bank who I am and they will tell you. Everybody knows who I am."

Cashier: "I am sorry, Mr corbyn, but these are the bank rules and I must follow them."

Corbyn,"Come on please, I am urging you, please cash this cheque."

Cashier: "Look sir, here is an example of what we can do.
One day, Tiger Woods came into the bank without ID.
To prove he was Tiger Woods he pulled out his putter and made a beautiful shot across the bank into a cup.
With that shot we knew him to be Tiger Woods and cashed his cheque."

"Another time, Andre Agassi came in without ID.
He pulled out his tennis racket and made a fabulous shot where the tennis ball landed in my cup.
With that shot we cashed his cheque.
So, sir, what can you do to prove that it is you and only you?"

Corbyn stands there thinking and thinking and finally says,
"Honestly, my mind is a total blank...there is nothing that comes to my mind.
I can't think of a single thing.
I have absolutely no idea what to do.
I don't have a clue."

Cashier: "Will that be large or small notes, Mr Corbyn....?”

Proud member of CH149 and Global Horology
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

Have just had a heck of a time trying to buy a 500g roll of soft solder from a local supplier online.

I was told this is a restricted item and will only be sold to professional people.

Why ???

Because it has lead in it. *%^&$#@%&&*)(@#$%

As far as I am aware ALL soft solder has lead in it apart from that specifically marked as "lead free" which the electronics boys don't like because it won't run properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reNA5iwcg-w

Most fishing sinkers are made from lead or are they using rocks now.

I can even go to the local hardware store and buy rolls of lead.

Yet this lot won't sell me soft solder.

OHS gone mad me thinks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

A big reaction today to greens politicians who have pointed the finger at the government and blamed them for the current bush fire crisis due to their lack of action about climate change.

Here are some facts that might be of interest

1926 Black Sunday 60 dead 1,000 buildings destroyed
1939 Black Friday 71 dead 5,000 buildings destroyed
1967 Black Tuesday 62 dead 1,300 buildings destroyed
1983 Ash Wednesday 75 dead 3,000 buildings destroyed
2009 Black Saturday 180 dead 3,500 buildings destroyed

Interesting that none of our previous fires have been due to the Climate Emergency.

I do have a sneaking suspicion though, that if it wasn't for the misinformed environmentalists and the Greens who:

• Lobby to have thousands of hectares of bush locked up,
• Campaign against back burning,
• Prevent land owners from managing the vegetation on their own land,
• Push to prevent further barriers in the way of burn offs and fire break clearings,
• Voted in council/government authorities that do not know how to manage water resources.

Want to blame someone, look no further than your local Greens politician.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

To add some perspective about the fires to date 2.5 million acres have been burnt and our summer hasn't started yet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

After our fifteen year old daughter was moved to tears by the speech of Greta Thunberg at the UN the other day, she became angry with our generation “who had been doing nothing for thirty years.”

So, we decided to help her prevent what the girl on TV announced of “massive eradication and the disappearance of entire ecosystems.”

We are now committed to give our daughter a future again, by doing our part to help cool the planet four degrees.

From now on she will go to school on a bicycle, because driving her by car costs fuel, and fuel puts emissions into the atmosphere. Of course it will be winter soon and then she will want to go by bus, but only as long as it is a diesel bus.

Somehow, that does not seem to be conducive to ‘helping the Climate’.

Of course, she is now asking for an electric bicycle, but we have shown her the devastation caused to the areas of the planet as a result of mining for the extraction of Lithium and other minerals used to make batteries for electric bicycles, so she will be pedaling, or walking. Which will not harm her, or the planet. We used to cycle and walk to school too.

Since the girl on TV demanded “we need to get rid of our dependency on fossil fuels” and our daughter agreed with her, we have disconnected the heat vent in her room. The temperature is now dropping to twelve degrees in the evening, and will drop below freezing in the winter, we have promised to buy her an extra sweater, hat, tights, gloves and a blanket.

For the same reason we have decided that from now on she only takes a cold shower. She will wash her clothes by hand, with a wooden washboard, because the washing machine is simply a power consumer and since the dryer uses natural gas, she will hang her clothes on the clothes line to dry.

Speaking of clothes, the ones that she currently has are all synthetic, so made from petroleum. Therefore on Monday, we will bring all her designer clothing to the secondhand shop.

We have found an eco store where the only clothing they sell is made from undyed and unbleached linen, wool and jute.

It shouldn’t matter that it looks good on her, or that she is going to be laughed at, dressing in colorless, bland clothes and without a wireless bra, but that is the price she has to pay for the benefit of The Climate.

Cotton is out of the question, as it comes from distant lands and pesticides are used for it. Very bad for the environment

We just saw on her Instagram that she’s pretty angry with us. This was not our intention.

From now on, at 7 p.m. we will turn off the WiFi and we will only switch it on again the next day after dinner for two hours. In this way we will save on electricity, so she is not bothered by electron-stress and will be totally isolated from the outside world. This way, she can concentrate solely on her homework. At eleven o’clock in the evening we will pull the breaker to shut the power off to her room, so she knows that dark is really dark. That will save a lot of CO2

She will no longer be participating in winter sports to ski lodges and resorts, nor will she be going on anymore vacations with us, because our vacation destinations are practically inaccessible by bicycle.

Since our daughter fully agrees with the girl on TV that the CO2 emissions and footprints of her great-grandparents are to blame for ‘killing our planet’, what all this simply means, is that she also has to live like her great-grandparents and they never had a holiday, a car or even a bicycle.

We haven’t talked about the carbon footprint of food yet.

Zero CO2 footprint means no meat, no fish and no poultry, but also no meat substitutes that are based on soy (after all, that grows in farmers fields, that use machinery to harvest the beans, trucks to transport to the processing plants, where more energy is used, then trucked to the packaging/canning plants, and trucked once again to the stores) and also no imported food, because that has a negative ecological effect. And absolutely no chocolate from Africa, no coffee from South America and no tea from Asia.

Only homegrown potatoes, vegetables and fruit that have been grown in local cold soil, because greenhouses run on boilers, piped in CO2 and artificial light. Apparently, these things are also bad for The Climate. We will teach her how to grow her own food.

Bread is still possible, but butter, milk, cheese and yogurt, cottage cheese and cream come from cows and they emit CO2. No more margarine and no oils will be used for the frying pan, because that fat is palm oil from plantations in Borneo where rain forests first grew.

No ice cream in the summer. No soft drinks and no energy drinks, as the bubbles are CO2. She wanted to lose some pounds, well, this will help her achieve that goal too.

We will also ban all plastic, because it comes from chemical factories. Everything made of steel and aluminum must also be removed. Have you ever seen the amount of energy a blast furnace consumes or an aluminum smelter? Uber bad for the climate!

We will replace her 9600 coil, memory foam pillow top mattress, with a jute bag filled with straw, with a horse hair pillow.

And finally, she will no longer be using makeup, soap, shampoo, cream, lotion, conditioner, toothpaste and medication. Her sanitary napkins will be replaced with pads made of linen, that she can wash by hand, with her wooden washboard, just like her female ancestors did before climate change made her angry at us for destroying her future.

In this way we will help her to do her part to prevent mass extinction, water levels rising and the disappearance of entire ecosystems.

If she truly believes she wants to walk the talk of the girl on TV, she will gladly accept and happily embrace her new way of life.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Neilywatch
Chapter Member

Steve -

You left out the most important item to reduce your carbon footprint.

You didn't tell her to NOT have children.

It is well established that having a child is the biggest addition to a person's carbon footprint.

I suspect who ever wrote this rubbish to begin with decided conveniently they didn't want to deny themselves the joy of grandchildren!

Everybody needs to do what they are comfortable with to reduce their footprint, The remarks above are just a few ideas, but they are over the top.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:58 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

The whole debate is over the top because it is all about marketing.
Big business wants us to buy things "to save the planet" but when you drill down the truth is something very different.

For me the perfect example is ink jet printers.
How easy would it be to get the things to monitor their ink level and ask to be refilled when the ink level got low.
They are already connected to your computer.
Yet the people who make them do the opposite and actually go out of their way to STOP you refilling them.
Yes there are kits available if you go looking for them but why aren't they all made that way.

Simple

Profit always wins over everything else.

I also agree about the effect of having children yet again how do humans react.

Some of our biggest religions encourage people to have large families and are actually against any form of contraception even in countries where famine is rife.

We are a fickle lot us humans.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:27 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

One of our big super market's has been caught out today.

For some time there has been a war going on over milk prices.
They kept going down till we got to $1 a litre.
This was great for consumers but farmers were doing it hard.

Then the drought hit and some of the smaller farms started to go under.

Up stepped Coles with the big announcement that they were not going to stand back and let farmers suffer.

They would raise the milk price to $1.10 a litre and the extra 10 cents would go directly to farmers in their hour of need.

Everyone thought that was a great idea but the truth is now out.

Of the 10 cents extra paid the farmers got 3 cents.

Huge case of red faces today.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-08-24/milk-price-increase-not-reaching-dairy-farmers/11435982

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

They say the current bush fire crisis is caused by climate change.

This tells a different story

Let's tell the burning truth about bushfires and the ALP-Greens coalition.

Miranda Devine, The Sunday Telegraph

January 13, 2013 12:00am

WHENEVER a major bushfire catastrophe occurs in Australia, the victims are essentially told to shut up.

It happened after Victoria's Black Saturday fires in 2009. It happened after the Canberra bushfires, 10 years ago on Friday. And it's happening now in Tasmania.

"Now is not the time for that conversation," says the Tasmanian Minister for Emergency Management, David O'Byrne, avoiding questions about why adequate hazard reduction burns were not done in cooler months to remove fuel from the path of inevitable summer fires.

It's just too early, claims Premier Lara Giddings, presiding over Tasmania's ALP-Greens coalition.

But the residents of Dunalley, whose town was overrun, and the farmers whose properties and livestock have been wiped out, want that conversation right now.

Now is the time for farmers to complain that they could never get a permit to burn off excessive ground fuel on their properties.

Now, while public attention is focused, and before the truth can be buried for years.

Now is the time to point out, perhaps, that a fire which begins in a national park carrying negligently heavy loads of ground fuel can become an unstoppable inferno which will eventually burst out into the Canberra suburbs and kill four people and consume 500 homes.

Now is the time for people who understand the bush to tell the rest of Australia what fools we are.

"Fuel reduction burns make it possible to fight and control a fire; what happened here was uncontrollable," Dunalley farmer Leigh Arnold told The Australian.

Greenies who oppose such burnoffs, "care more about birds and wildlife than they do about people and farms," he said.

"But what's the point of that now when the hills and trees they told me I couldn't burn off, because there were protected eagles and swift parrots there, are now all burned and the fire it created was so hot we had dead swans dropping out of the sky?"

No, the only permissible comment on a bushfire catastrophe is to say it was caused by "climate change" - that convenient get-out-of-jail free card for greenies, governments and the obstructive bureaucracies they jointly create.

But we've heard it all before, and we're not buying it.

"It's really simple," says Brian Williams, captain of the Kurrajong Heights bushfire brigade, a veteran of 44 years of fire fighting, in one of the most extreme fire risk areas of Australia, on a ridge surrounded by 0.75 million hectares of overgrown national park between the Blue Mountains and Wollemi.

"Fires run on fuel. Limited fuel means limited fire."

Green tape and heavy-handed bureaucracy has made his job harder today than in 28 years as captain. Rather than needing six people to perform a controlled burn in the cooler months, now 40 are involved, to oversee biodiversity and so on.

Williams managed to conduct just two of the five hazard reduction burns he planned before this fire season.

But don't blame greenies. All week they have been claiming they support hazard reduction. Really?

No matter what legalistic and linguistic ploys are now used to rewrite history, green hostility to proper bushfire management is on the record, from the light-green NIMBYs who object to smoke, to green lobbyists who infiltrate government decision-making, taxpayer-funded green activists who embed themselves in government agencies, the bureaucratic green tape which makes the job of volunteer fire fighters so difficult, the green NGOs who strongarm politicians, right up to the political arm of green ideology, The Greens.

It is true The Greens have developed a new set of "aims" including a caveat-studded "effective and sustainable strategy for fuel-reduction management".

In practice, on the ground, it amounts to covert opposition. Williams scoffs at the Orwellian sophistry: "They publicly say they support it. The reality of how it pans out is nothing like that. Greens have two faces and underneath they are undermining everything."

While there have been improvements under a new state government, Williams says hazard reduction is still inadequate across NSW, reaching just 1 per cent rather than the 5 per cent minimum recommended by the Victorian bushfire inquiry.

At least in the hard-won patch of Volunteer Fire Fighter Association president Peter Cannon, around Dubbo, Parkes and Forbes, hazard reduction is complete this year and he is confident any fires will be controllable.

He says it is a credit to hard-working fire fighters that Tasmania-scale destruction has not occurred in NSW despite extreme fire conditions.

Another bright spot is the latest Rural Fire Service annual report which says more than 80 per cent of planned hazard reduction was achieved, and the area treated should increase by 45 per cent over three years.

It's not enough but it's a welcome change from the dark days of 2003, eight months before the Canberra inferno, when former RFS Commissioner Phil Koperberg told a NSW parliamentary inquiry that widespread hazard reduction was "an exercise in futility".

Fast forward to last month and blame for that fire has finally been laid where it belongs, at the feet of Koperberg's RFS and the green-influenced National Parks and Wildlife Service.

Brinadabella farmer Wayne West, whose property was wiped out in the fires, sued the two agencies. Last month in the ACT Supreme Court, Chief Justice Terrence Higgins found them negligent.

The episode demonstrated how green pressure on decision-makers filters down into a cascade of subtle bureaucratic obstructions which disempower firefighters on the ground and disregard their expertise.

The result in 2003 was that a small fire at McIntyre's Hut in the Brindabella ranges was allowed to rage out of control through the national park to emerge 10 days later, and burn lethally through Canberra's suburbs.

Unfortunately for West and his insurance company, the government agencies are protected by statute and don't have to pay compensation.

But West won a moral victory. We all are in his debt because he fought for the truth and refused to shut up.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/lets-tell-the-burning-truth/news-story/ae30e22c69a0a9a7fe4141bc4e9442a8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:42 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

Another voice of reason

This was on Facebook this morning... Please forward it far and wide.

Julie Smee read the following - posted by a man with many years experience of direct involvement with bushfires and other disasters. If you really don't believe that the greens are behind the ongoing failure to manage our forests / fuel loads etc - you are about as gullible as Sarah Hansen Young.

"I am writing this because I am appalled at the amount of near hysterical reaction to the recent NSW and Qld bush-fires. My reasoning is not so much about the fires or the people affected, but about whether “man made” climate change is the underlying cause. Before I go further, my stance is not so much a personal but rather a professional reaction.

I begin by telling those of you who don’t know, for a period of some 40 years, my work as a loss adjuster was involved with natural disasters, ranging from Cyclone Tracey through to a lesser involvement in 2009. I was appointed as National Chief Loss Adjuster, an advisory role, to the Insurance Council of Australia on all natural disasters but particularly bush-fires. This role was interactive with all agencies and spanned more than 10 years. It was both proactive in planning stages and reactive after the event. I was heavily involved in the 1983 Victorian fires.

I acknowledge the advice of The Bureau of Meteorology and the Climate Council, is a reality to the effect the projected changes to climate, was derived from modelling, which strongly suggested change would occur unless man made contribution was reduced.

Somehow or other, sections of our communities have taken control of the scientific argument about the future and have interpreted it to mean the change has already occurred. Not so. Records I have seen, actually show that the slight upward trend in temperatures on a global scale seem to be in direct line with the earth’s ever occurring ”natural” climatic change patterns. History shows numerous ice ages, when the planet cooled, to corresponding heating up periods, over billions of years. This has always occurred. It is the nature of our planet and cannot be influenced by what man can or cannot do. On the other hand, the impact of humans is a future projection, well founded on scientific modelling.

The true position, despite all the comments about what the current fires mean in a climate change scenario, is that nobody can tell if there is any connection.

What I can tell you with absolute certainty is that these fires, as bad as they were, are no more intense, widespread, dangerous or unexpected in outcome, to many previous and historic events .

There is no accurate method to measure such outcomes.
However, it is possible to look at prevailing conditions and contributing factors to seek patterns or influential factors.
Take a look at the following comparative data, much of which has been ignored by the frantic argument to directly link man made climate change to the outbreak and effects of these latest fires. I detail some of the arguments I have heard go unchallenged or are simply ignored and unreported, particularly by the ABC who are the appointed official national disaster communications service.

This the first time such fires have been rated as catastrophic.. True, but not because they were rated any worse than many previous fires. In 2009, following the bush-fire inquiry, the defined categories of fire were renamed. Catastrophic
was introduced as the most severe warning. So this description was never intended to make people think they were the worst fires ever. I have heard many
media reports entrench this mistake.

The fires are occurring earlier because of climate extending the summer risk. Can only be applicable in the North. However, NSW has a long history of November and December bush-fires. In 1944, the Blue Mountains lost 27 homes and other property in November. Since then, I can recall at least 3 other similarly timed events in NSW. So this year was not unique, as has been strongly inferred by many reporters. In southern areas, January and February have historically been
prone to outbreaks.

These fires are the most widespread and worst ever. They certainly were disastrous. However, it is impossible to compare unless it can be based on raw data…. Have more lives been lost than ever before. No, although 1 is far too many. In 2009, 173 people died. In 1983, 75 people died. In 1962, 62 people died. In that decade one of the victims in Eltham North was George Crowe, my Grandfather and Grandma’s father in law.

In 1967, it was reported that 2,600 square kms of land was devastated in just 5 hours (Just try to imagine that ferocity).
In 2009 there were 2030 homes destroyed and in 1983 there were 6,000 homes and other buildings destroyed. Does this define which fire was the worst. NO.

All fires are bad but to try and claim the current fires are the worst ever is a blatant disregard for historical fact. Worse still, it is a deliberate attempt to scare people into accepting the fanatical side of the global warming argument, by accepting radical changes to our economy, power generation and mining - let alone agriculture and transport - must occur right now and in a premature manner. The so called re-definition of the predicted changes into an emergency, is a way to virtually destroy our entire way of life.

The fires were started as a result of climate changed conditions. Clearly wrong. 80% of fires were started by people either deliberately or accidentally lighting them.
Dry lightning strikes have been long recorded and are nothing new.

What has our Media and ABC generally ignored. One of the most clear data based facts, reported out of the 2009 Inquiry, was the finding that fire intensity is proportional to and severely aggravated by fire loads created by undergrowth and
forest floor debris accumulation. We can’t control wind and heat but we can control fuel load.

Ask any active Rural or Country serving fireman what they think of this hazard. Then ask your Green Party representative, why they have influenced the management of National Park maintenance, as well as local government reserves, to leave far too much of the forest floor intact at any cost. Winter back burning, firewood removal and general debris clearance has been widely restricted by stupid
laws.

They argue it preserves natural ecosystems that rely on such decaying material. Well, systematic removal of this fuel load may well disrupt some Eco-systems, consider this. A bush-fire positively destroys them all.

The only identifiable and recently introduced risk factor, is the environmental law changes that have impacted a fire’s intensity potential and capacity to burn faster and hotter.
Find this hard to believe, Go into a forest and try setting fire to a living gum tree with a match. Now stoop down and see if you get any better results from the dead and therefore dry undergrowth at your feet. This is the effect ember spread has on adjoining bush-land.

There is much more to say about bringing sanity back into discussions and I have my own opinion that if you believe the science of global warming, stick to the science and ignore the fanatical self professed experts, like some of the current crop of Green Party politicians and shrieking media, self appointed, experts. No, before it can be said. I was not self appointed in my former career positions.

I can only reflect that the handful of ex-firemen who were paraded before the media, may have had other agendas. The spokesman listed his current occupation as a “Climate Change Consultant”. Another said outright, on camera, that fires have always been linked to climate change. I prefer to listen to our Indigenous community who talk of bush-fire management over thousands of years. - oops before any hint of an industrial age, meat production or mining.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:33 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

You may have heard that General Motors has announced the phasing out of the Holden name.

The stopped making cars here 3 or 4 years ago but now the name is to go as well.

It should have occurred to someone in management that the reason many people bought Holden was because it was locally made and once it became "just another import" it had to compete with all the others and they just weren't that good.

Anyway the deal is done but this little offering has gained a bit of exposure since the announcement.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Mi1z9b1F0&list=RDC5Mi1z9b1F0&start_radio=1

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:27 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

Sometime this year, we taxpayers may again receive another 'Economic Stimulus' payment.

This is indeed a very exciting program, and I'll explain it by using a Q & A format:

Q. What is an 'Economic Stimulus' payment ?

A. It is money that the federal government will send to taxpayers.

Q. Where will the government get this money ?

A. From taxpayers.

Q. So the government is giving me back my own money?

A. Only a smidgen of it.

Q. What is the purpose of this payment?

A. The plan is for you to use the money to purchase a

High-definition TV set, thus stimulating the economy.

Q. But isn't that stimulating the economy of China ?

A. Shut up.

Below is some helpful advice on how to best help the Australian Economy by spending your stimulus cheque wisely:

* If you spend the stimulus money at K-Mart, Big W , Target or the host of $2 shops we have, the money will go to China, Vietnam or Sri Lanka ..

* If you spend it on petrol, your money will go to the Arabs.

* If you purchase a computer, it will go to India,Taiwan or China ...

* If you purchase fruit and vegetables, it will go to China, India, Peru.....

* If you buy an efficient car, it will go to Japan or Korea .

* If you purchase useless stuff, it will go to Taiwan .

* If you pay your credit cards off, or buy stock, it will go to management bonuses and they will hide it offshore.

Instead, keep the money in Australia by:

1) Spending it at garage sales, or
2) Going to footy games, or
3) Spending it on prostitutes, or
4) Beer or
5) Tattoos.

(These are just about the only Australian businesses still operating in OZ.)

Conclusion:
Go to a footy game with a tattooed prostitute that you met at a garage sale and drink beer all day !

No need to thank me, I'm just glad I could be of help.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:24 am Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

I think this one fits in here pretty well -

One crisp winter morning in Sweden, a cute little girl named Greta woke up to a perfect world, one where there were no petroleum products ruining the earth. She tossed aside her cotton sheet and wool blanket and stepped out onto a dirt floor covered with willow bark that had been pulverized with rocks. “What’s this?” she asked.

“Pulverized willow bark,” replied her fairy godmother.

“What happened to the carpet?” she asked.

“The carpet was nylon, which is made from butadiene and hydrogen cyanide, both made from petroleum,” came the response.

Greta smiled, acknowledging that adjustments are necessary to save the planet, and moved to the sink to brush her teeth where instead of a toothbrush, she found a willow, mangled on one end to expose wood fibre bristles.

“Your old toothbrush?” noted her godmother, “Also nylon.”

“Where’s the water?” asked Greta.

“Down the road in the canal,” replied her godmother, ‘Just make sure you avoid water with cholera in it”

“Why’s there no running water?” Greta asked, becoming a little peevish.

“Well,” said her godmother, who happened to teach engineering at MIT, “Where do we begin?” There followed a long monologue about how sink valves need elastomer seats and how copper pipes contain copper, which has to be mined and how it’s impossible to make all-electric earth-moving equipment with no gear lubrication or tires and how ore has to be smelted to a make metal, and that’s tough to do with only electricity as a source of heat, and even if you use only electricity, the wires need insulation, which is petroleum-based, and though most of Sweden’s energy is produced in an environmentally friendly way because of hydro and nuclear, if you do a mass and energy balance around the whole system, you still need lots of petroleum products like lubricants and nylon and rubber for tires and asphalt for filling potholes and wax and iPhone plastic and elastic to hold your underwear up while operating a copper smelting furnace and . . .

“What’s for breakfast?” interjected Greta, whose head was hurting.

"Fresh, range-fed chicken eggs,” replied her godmother. “Raw.”

“How so, raw?” inquired Greta.

“Well, . . .” And once again, Greta was told about the need for petroleum products like transformer oil and scores of petroleum products essential for producing metals for frying pans and in the end was educated about how you can’t have a petroleum-free world and then cook eggs. Unless you rip your front fence up and start a fire and carefully cook your egg in an orange peel like you do in Boy Scouts. Not that you can find oranges in Sweden anymore.

“But I want poached eggs like my Aunt Tilda makes,” lamented Greta.

“Tilda died this morning,” the godmother explained. “Bacterial pneumonia.”

“What?” interjected Greta. “No one dies of bacterial pneumonia! We have penicillin.”

“Not anymore,” explained godmother “The production of penicillin requires chemical extraction using isobutyl acetate, which, if you know your organic chemistry, is petroleum-based. Lots of people are dying, which is problematic because there’s not any easy way of disposing of the bodies since backhoes need hydraulic oil and crematoriums can’t really burn many bodies using as fuel Swedish fences and furniture, which are rapidly disappearing - being used on the black market for roasting eggs and staying warm.”

This represents only a fraction of Greta’s day, a day without microphones to exclaim into and a day without much food, and a day without carbon-fibre boats to sail in, but a day that will save the planet.

Tune in tomorrow when Greta needs a root canal and learns how Novocain is synthesized.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:11 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

This is also very topical and needs no additional comment from me

Who's doing it to me.
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Stephen Gaal's BLOG