|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=e1e5173fb7fa14a020f326c604c439c2 profile.php?mode=register&sid=e1e5173fb7fa14a020f326c604c439c2 faq.php?sid=e1e5173fb7fa14a020f326c604c439c2 search.php?sid=e1e5173fb7fa14a020f326c604c439c2

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » ASK Rich Newman, assoc chairman » The Value Question
The Value Question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

There have often been questions about watch values and the NAWCC has usually disallowed such discussions.

There was then a slight change of heart and such discussion is now allowed if the asker pays a fee.

I believe this is one area where the NAWCC is way out of touch with modern thinking.

You only need to look at what is going on in other markets to see how old fashioned and out of touch this is.
The internet is full of sites where I can value my car or my house and almost anything I want to buy I can find a site to "get me the best deal"

The TV has numerous shows where antiques are valued and if you spend a bit of time and watch how your kids operate they will often do on the spot research on a potential purchase using their smart phone.
If they can't find anything about the item in question more often than not they walk away.

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT FREE VALUATIONS

I am talking about making the value of something part of the discussion just like condition and scarcity and any other aspect of the item.

You can not say what a particular watch, unseen, is worth at any given time but most of us know what the more popular watches are worth in good condition so why not be open about it.
That is the kind of guidance new players are looking for and that is the kind of information that might motivate people to join up.

Not talking about values only helps the dealers.

Proud member of CH149 and Global Horology
Re: The Value Question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

StephanG wrote:
There have often been questions about watch values and the NAWCC has usually disallowed such discussions.

There was then a slight change of heart and such discussion is now allowed if the asker pays a fee.

I believe this is one area where the NAWCC is way out of touch with modern thinking.

You only need to look at what is going on in other markets to see how old fashioned and out of touch this is.
The internet is full of sites where I can value my car or my house and almost anything I want to buy I can find a site to "get me the best deal"

The TV has numerous shows where antiques are valued and if you spend a bit of time and watch how your kids operate they will often do on the spot research on a potential purchase using their smart phone.
If they can't find anything about the item in question more often than not they walk away.

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT FREE VALUATIONS

I am talking about making the value of something part of the discussion just like condition and scarcity and any other aspect of the item.

You can not say what a particular watch, unseen, is worth at any given time but most of us know what the more popular watches are worth in good condition so why not be open about it.
That is the kind of guidance new players are looking for and that is the kind of information that might motivate people to join up.

Not talking about values only helps the dealers.

Why not allow all and be transparent?

One major problem with the values section is that there have been many mistakes and an abundance of incorrect information presented by the insiders, moderators and tag teamers! As usual, the real experts are left out or ignored.

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
geno
Chapter Member

Who do they think is qualified for this, it takes years and you have to be in the different markets to come up with realistic current market prices and not just open a price guide that may or may not be right. There are people here including me who could do it, but don't have the time or inclination. Geno
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Agreed; I also wouldn't have the time.

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

I am not saying this could be fixed overnight but you have to start somewhere and the current "no comment" policy is just adding to the confusion and uncertainty.

That in turn creates a perfect climate for con men and rip off merchants and that in turn puts people off the hobby.

A National body is supposed to bring clarity and stability and help protect new players.

At the moment it appears to be more concerned with protecting traders.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

This is impossible with the current group of operatives and insiders and their thin circle of cronies.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

And thus nothing changes and we will continue down the current path.

Nuff said Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:29 am Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

StephanG wrote:
And thus nothing changes and we will continue down the current path.

Nuff said Crying or Very sad

Sad but true. Sad

The value question
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
tomjbartels@gmail.com

There has been a recent discussion among a few of the directors regarding the NAWCC providing or endorsing valuations. Apparently there is no legal prohibition preventing non-profits from doing so nor anything addressing it I can find in the by-laws or standing rules. There are some pitfalls, i.e. monitoring the accuracy or competence of the appraisers, which have been mentioned here, but nothing that can't be resolved if the plan is well thought out. I think the potential benefits far outweigh the risks and should be investigated. Any thoughts on the wording and content of such a policy?
Thanks for listening,
Tom Bartels
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

If you watch the business channel this appears at the start of every program.

Disclaimer: Information on this website is of a general nature. It does not take into account the investment objectives, financial situation or needs of any individual investor. Before making an investment decision, it is recommended you consult an adviser to determine if the advice is appropriate for you.

Since their advise relates directly to money, shares and other investments it appears a good place to start.
Based on that you could have something like

Disclaimer: Information on this website is of a general nature. It does not take into consideration any specific details particular to your item, situation or needs. Where any substantial purchase or sale is being contemplated, we recommended you consult a recognised valuer for an expert opinion.

Remember that any discussion on value would not be just one persons opinion but should lead to a number of opinions from different points of view. The discussion itself would be a good thing for a new player to observe and learn from. Anyone not playing fair will have any number of other people ready to call him out just the way it happens now when other claims are made about condition or rarity.

There is nothing new here.
Any experienced collector likely has a list of values in his head for the more common stuff and I bet they are all pretty much the same.
Why not share that information so new players can start off with a bit of confidence rather than sit back and let them get ripped.

It should also be pointed out that selling prices and buying prices and insurance prices vary and why.
This to is part of learning about collecting.
We should use market values along the same lines as the price guide does just to be consistent.
I know a lot of those are wrong but that is a different discussion.

The Value Question
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » ASK Rich Newman, assoc chairman