|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=9667dd5aa655e1daa98b3c8160bc02a1 profile.php?mode=register&sid=9667dd5aa655e1daa98b3c8160bc02a1 faq.php?sid=9667dd5aa655e1daa98b3c8160bc02a1 search.php?sid=9667dd5aa655e1daa98b3c8160bc02a1

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » ASK Rich Newman, assoc chairman » The Tom Bartels platform
The Tom Bartels platform
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Greetings,

My name is Tom Bartels and I am running for reelection for nawcc director. I will be happy to have a non rancorous discussion regarding any issues facing our association or questions you may have about its governance. I am posting my statement that will be printed in the Bulletin for your information, and look forward to hearing your comments and concerns.

I am grateful for the privilege of having been your director the past 4 years, during which time the board has made some significant inroads in addressing many of the challenges our Association faces, including: financial stability and oversight; reorganization of the school; and fundraising. Naturally , there have been some disappointments and setbacks, and much remains to be done to insure the long term viability and relevance of the NAWCC, which is why I would like to continue working on your behalf to achieve these goals. As a member of the convention, membership and museum committees, I have worked on several projects designed to address many of these problems, and as difficult as many may seem, such as our shrinking membership, I donít think they are insurmountable.
As a member for 48 years, past Executive Director, star fellow, and life member, I take these responsibilities very seriously. The NAWCC is unequaled in its stature and ability to preserve and protect horological knowledge and artifacts and I believe should remain a beacon of enlightenment for future generations. However, in able to assure our continued existence, we must maintain and improve the services and benefits we provide our members every day. This necessitates a close working relationship with regional conventions, chapters, international members and businesses.
Specifically, the issues I consider most important and if reelected will continue to work for are:
1. Membership.
As membership continues to dwindle, we must reach out to our most valuable assets, i.e. chapters, regional conventions, business members, staff and internet adherents to participate in a well-defined, comprehensive membership program. Although there have been some setbacks in trying to establish such a program, I think the logic and necessity, along with some capable people willing to take on the task, will persuade the board to support it.
2. Communication.
The board has had difficulty in providing a consistent and clear message to the members. While efforts have been made to make the actions of the board as transparent as possible, the message often gets garbled in unnecessary preoccupation with extraneous minutiae, leaving many members to wonder why the board canít focus on the big picture, as it is supposed to. I think we can greatly improve on this.
3. Financial Stability
In order to continue to provide the benefits and services our members expect for now and in the future without drastically raising our dues, we must continue to build an endowment fund that will provide the necessary supplementary income needed, as well as develop other sources of income such as our internet presence and educational programs.
However diverse our opinions and philosophies may be, we must focus on attaining our common goal of keeping the NAWCC a viable, relevant and financially secure organization. I believe open communication, providing a consistent, well defined message, and diligence in following through on board actions are key elements to our future success. With your vote and continued support, I will remain committed to working for these ideals. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to share your opinions and ideas.

Best regards,
Tom Bartels

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
The Tom Bartels platform
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » ASK Rich Newman, assoc chairman