|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=0fc36688e2c65b18943e27fb2409dcff profile.php?mode=register&sid=0fc36688e2c65b18943e27fb2409dcff faq.php?sid=0fc36688e2c65b18943e27fb2409dcff search.php?sid=0fc36688e2c65b18943e27fb2409dcff

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » ASK Rich Newman, assoc chairman » HAS the NAWCC BLOWN IT AGAIN?
HAS the NAWCC BLOWN IT AGAIN?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Here we go again!

The nat ass refuses to get it right--having national conventions in the WRONG cities.

Thousands of connecting flights delayed or cancelled is infuriating members across the USA.

For twenty five years now I have reminded everyone that national conventions MUST HAVE THESE SHOWS in HUB cities, i.e. with direct flights and preferably at airport hotels or close proximities. Travel from all parts of the country DOES NOT MAKE SENSE when having to take 2 or 3 connecting flights carrying PWs or even WWs and dealing with the TSA.

The result of this nonsense angers the members and is cause for less and less attendance at future shows. This should have been addressed decades ago but the N/A insiders and operatives are more worried about cheap venues and room rates and less about travel aggravation.

Sadly, it is probably too late for change as we watch the membership rolls drop.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
HOWARD
Chapter Member

All flights to Chattanooga have been cancelled until tomorrow!

Good luck members.

Howard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
gemeyr4
Chapter Member

You cannot fix Stupid!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
JohnL
Site Admin

Ok, I'll weigh in seeing i just completed my 12hr Odyssey and I'm right where i started from this am.

I planned on attending the national several months ago, buying my airline tickets months in advance.

I registered several weeks ago, now i am all set (so i thought)

started off at 8 am this am set forth to logan airport in Boston, got to the gate an hour before flight, great, all set. got on my 10am flight to Washington DC, (because the location of the national, its a "connecting" flight from me, and from most cities in the US)

my first flight went great, no issues, no delays. got to DC actually early, 11:15am

connection to Chattanooga was at 12pm, next starts the "Odyssey"

first issue, connection to Chattanooga is "delayed" until 1:30, THEN to 2:30 delay, THEN to 3:32 because of (no flight crew, and mechanical problems)

I'm sitting there for 4 hours wondering what time I'd get to the national, then all of a sudden i look up at the tote board and the flight has now DISAPPEARED!

Next my phone rings, its my travel agent friend, he says "hey, whats going on with your flight? i can't find it"

I look behind me and the counter at the airlines, which was empty for about an hr, now has 100 people in line!!!

Oh no, i'm thinking, here we go.......i go to the airline desk and they tell me "The flight from DC to Chattanooga was scrubbed", I'm like ?? what does that mean? whens the next flight???

the agent says, ahhh NONE TODAY!.... "we can give you a hotel voucher for overnight stay, and the next flight was tomorrow, Thursday 9am!" I'm like..HUH??
(yeah, they said they could fly my to Huntsville AL, or Nashville, later on today, which would require car rental *additional expense, and "driving" for hrs to my original destination"

I snapped, and said, NOPE, put me on a plane right back to where i came from 5 hrs earlier!

Basically, i'm home now, absolutely disgusted with the airlines, the fact that the national, is yet again, in a city that is a "connecting" flight to.....

I'm one of the younger guys in the organization, and I gotta tell you, I'm done with this stuff.

The nawcc has to wake up and start having these at MAJOR CITIES if they expect any type of representation from most of the organization!

I know more than a few LONG time members not attending this national for various reasons, 1 being the fact that the city this is in is tough to get to....

I know its not the nawcc's fault the airlines aren't reliable, but they are adding to this type of nonsense by having people deal with connecting flights!!!

I know most of my friends where i'm from, who collect watches, would never in a minute, put up with this, especially, with eBay, auction houses and the plethora of watches coming onto the market as of late!

The nawcc membership is deteriorating, exactly how does having the national, over and over in connecting cities help this organization, build up attendance??

I don't see it!

(this experience goes down with my 12 hr Odyssey "layover" in Atlanta, trying to get to Daytona for the mid winter regional"

How does the NAWCC BOD feel about their membership dealing with this type of stuff, trying to get to their Conventions??

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Friday at Chattanooga

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
HAS the NAWCC BLOWN IT AGAIN?
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » ASK Rich Newman, assoc chairman