|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=bdea65ac238ecb7021dd95d064c0ca92 profile.php?mode=register&sid=bdea65ac238ecb7021dd95d064c0ca92 faq.php?sid=bdea65ac238ecb7021dd95d064c0ca92 search.php?sid=bdea65ac238ecb7021dd95d064c0ca92

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » ASK Rich Newman, assoc chairman » unhappy n/a member over high cost of dues
unhappy n/a member over high cost of dues
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

St. Petersburg, Florida

NAWCC dues are too high

Hello.

"After receiving my most recent dues-notice, I've come to the decision that the cost of membership in the NAWCC is simply too high. A few years back, the selections were revamped so that members at least had the option of paying lower dues and forfeiting the publications (which I recall we were led to believe contributed to a large portion of the operational costs). This was a good option, even though in my opinion the cost of a non-publication membership wasn't reduced enough if indeed the publications were a significant portion of operational costs.

Now, a few years later, the costs of dues has gone up and up, while the difference between a publications-membership and non-publications (online only) membership is only $10 off the $90 price.

I'm sorry, but even $80 per year for membership is just way, way, WAY too much. I have limited income and can no longer justify paying dues this astronomical. I belong to several other societies/memberships (albeit not clock/watch-related), and none of those annual dues are over $25-$40. I never attend any of the meetings or clock sales, and the only reason I've stayed a member the past few years is to have full participation in the NAWCC online forum. I enjoy reading the posts there, and enjoy assisting others regarding clock inquiries I might know about, particularly those seeking info on Ridgeway clocks since I've collected a few older catalogs with information about them.

I haven't yet re-read the rules regarding member vs. non-member participation in the online forum / Message Board but I'm presuming I'll still have capabilities there even if I don't renew my membership. (I seem to recall dues-paying members might have access to one or two additional forums, such as clock values, clock sales/classifieds, or something, but again, this is nothing I particularly need).

I'm sad to stop my membership, but $80 per year is just way too high.

Thanks for listening."
John

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
wayne crawforth
Chapter Member

they still wont get the message, even as clear as that guy delivered it.

chapter 149 #166
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

I wonder what the point of no return is.

The number below which no matter what they do the numbers will simply be to small to save the situation.

Proud member of CH149 and Global Horology
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
Neilywatch
Chapter Member

They are starting to talk to the AWCI about sharing certain services, since they believe there is a common interest among the members, and they hope to gain new members that way.

The AWCI is down to about 1,400 members - and they had almost as many as NAWCC did at one point. Talk about a collapse - and they are even more clueless than NAWCC. Member dues are now about $165, and we are REQUIRED to be a member by certain watch companies!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:56 am Reply with quote
darrah
Chapter Member

The only reason I belong to the AWCI is due their technical articles and they are great. Other than that, I do not participate since there is only 24hrs in a day and am not really interested in working with new watches that seem to be their main focus. They have recently started adding more vintage and antique clock and watch articles though, possibly for survival, and can see a possible merging of the two associations here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

Neilywatch wrote:
Member dues are now about $165, and we are REQUIRED to be a member by certain watch companies!

The same BS as the NAWCC forcing people to join before they can join a chapter.

When will they realize how much people HATE conscription.

Proud member of CH149 and Global Horology
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Neilywatch wrote:
They are starting to talk to the AWCI about sharing certain services, since they believe there is a common interest among the members, and they hope to gain new members that way.

The AWCI is down to about 1,400 members - and they had almost as many as NAWCC did at one point. Talk about a collapse - and they are even more clueless than NAWCC. Member dues are now about $165, and we are REQUIRED to be a member by certain watch companies!

This merge will prove to be quite interesting: 1400 paying $165. and 12-13,000 paying $92. merging. What will happen? Our dues up and theirs down! Rolling Eyes

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
unhappy n/a member over high cost of dues
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » ASK Rich Newman, assoc chairman