|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=2d9d6c843cbfde7cc14373bd00786c8d profile.php?mode=register&sid=2d9d6c843cbfde7cc14373bd00786c8d faq.php?sid=2d9d6c843cbfde7cc14373bd00786c8d search.php?sid=2d9d6c843cbfde7cc14373bd00786c8d

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » The Watch Collectors' Journal » Beautiful and the highest quality but NOT rare Goto page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

Geno,

I think you and I have pretty much the same watch market philosophy...But...I might disagree about on thing you just said. I agree that prices of American pocket watches...generally might never recover completely....But...I think a nice Bunn Special 161b might fetch big money again. The new Bunn Special book might have more people trying to assemble a collection. More people might need to have one to complete the set. As we saw last time all it took was to get a couple of the right collectors...collectors with the resources together in the same bidding room. The Ball indicator is more of a stretch but the 161b....I ain't so sure.

John Cote (Member #105)
Membership Chairman - Ch-149
Past President - Ch-18
http://www.interstatetime.com
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

I, too, believe that the demand (or ultimate demand) for the 161b to be much greater than the Ball Indicator. And, this is why I have a 161b and not a Ball WI.

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
geno
Chapter Member

Would you rather own the 161B at 40,000 or the one that just got sold for 11,000 hammer, that's the point. I don't want to own one period other to flip it quick, assuming it would sell for more than I paid. There is no predicating what the next price will be, it could be higher or lower, but demand will still lesson over time. I'm glad we have different viewpoints otherwise nothing would get sold and I cetainly don't want for people to think as I do. Geno Wink
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

geno wrote:
Would you rather own the 161B at 40,000 or the one that just got sold for 11,000 hammer, that's the point. I don't want to own one period other to flip it quick

Geno,

I have owned 1 and only one 161b in my life. I owned it for appropriately 24 hours. I saw it for sale. I called two people I knew who I thought might want it. One of them said no. One of them said yes. I had the cash. I bought it. The guy paid me for it the next day. I didn't own it anymore and I made a decent one day profit.

Like you I don't want to own another unless I can buy it right and filp it fast.

PS: The one I owned for 24 hours is one of those which ended up selling for $40,000. The guy who bought it from me...for what was at the time a record price, sold it to the JH under-bidder...it was a much better watch than the one sold at auction...much better.

John Cote (Member #105)
Membership Chairman - Ch-149
Past President - Ch-18
http://www.interstatetime.com
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Much of this discussion is the smart dealer flipper versus the collector mentality.

MY BOTTOM LINE IS, and has been for 50 years --merchandise bought right is half sold!

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

geno wrote:
Would you rather own the 161B at 40,000 or the one that just got sold for 11,000 hammer, that's the point. Wink

MEMEME

Beautiful and the highest quality but NOT rare
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » The Watch Collectors' Journal