|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=3128ca0388bd2757cc705588fbef8d7a profile.php?mode=register&sid=3128ca0388bd2757cc705588fbef8d7a faq.php?sid=3128ca0388bd2757cc705588fbef8d7a search.php?sid=3128ca0388bd2757cc705588fbef8d7a

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » ASK Rich Newman, assoc chairman » NAWCC Message Board Conversion Goto page 1, 2  Next
NAWCC Message Board Conversion
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
S Mercer
Chapter Member

Again the NAWCC is looking to convert the message board to another as mentioned is this thread:

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?141594-trouble-with-pm-function

In post #2 Tom McIntyre mentions they are exploring XenForo.

The post that I find interesting and also concerning is post #15 made by Bill Stuntz:

Quote:
We're working VERY hard to be SURE we don't lose any information in the conversion. There's an add-on available to check all existing posts for external photos, convert them into in-house attachments, remove dead photo links, and to automatically import external photos that are posted in the future. The missing photo problem should go away - except for photos that have already disappeared from external photo hosting sites.

I thought one of the reasons people used external photo's and links to their own website or web hosting sites, was so the NAWCC nor their message board, did not own the rights to use the photo's or any of the content from the links, as stated in the Message Board Rules under their Copy Right Notice.

If, as Bill Stuntz stated in his posting, that during the conversion the links to external photo's will be converted to in-house attachments and to automatically import external photo's that are posted in the future, then the NAWCC is forcing all people who used and will be using the message board who were trying to protect their own copy rights by using external links, will now be forced to share their copy rights with the NAWCC without any actual consent given by the original owners.

Chapter 100
Chapter 149 Member # 83
Waltham Model 83 Watches
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

You consent when you post on the board.

That's the way I see it. Many other boards already like that.

The option is to create your own board if you wish to retain copy right and simply direct people to look there.

Question -

If you gave a picture to a newspaper to publish who owns the copy right ?

Them I think.

Proud member of CH149 and Global Horology
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Sangamo
Chapter Member

truly i wish 'my' external links so long ago were still valid.
My ISP changed and "poof" went the images... and i could not edit the postings to re-insert them... nor probably had the time to do so.

What happened so long ago is an admin (forget the name) dropped all images "to save space" with no notice or something like that...

this add on transfer would certainly help preserve things.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
S Mercer
Chapter Member

StephanG wrote:
You consent when you post on the board.

Stephen

You missed the point.

When you post to the message board you consented for that post.

You did not consent on the external link. That image was hosted on another web site or your own web site. The link was part of the post not the actual image.

Chapter 100
Chapter 149 Member # 83
Waltham Model 83 Watches
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
S Mercer
Chapter Member

Sangamo wrote:
truly i wish 'my' external links so long ago were still valid.
My ISP changed and "poof" went the images... and i could not edit the postings to re-insert them... nor probably had the time to do so.

What happened so long ago is an admin (forget the name) dropped all images "to save space" with no notice or something like that...

this add on transfer would certainly help preserve things.

Terry

I understand that and I yes I can agree that it could help preserve things. But if they convert the links to images without getting permission from the people that actually hold the copyrights they could be "opening a can of worms".

Remember how upset people were when that other web site would not remove their images after it left the organization?

Chapter 100
Chapter 149 Member # 83
Waltham Model 83 Watches
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:08 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

I agree in theory but the linked image forms part of the post and many reading the post see the whole thing without really understanding how the picture got there.

No doubt we could make a whole gaggle of lawyers rich sorting out the rights and wrongs of who owns what.

I still believe that once you post something however you go about it you loose full control of it.

It is just to easy to copy stuff or edit stuff to make a new version.

We are talking about watches.
How do you know for sure you have the only picture and what about the watch itself.
Who owns that and do you owe that person something if you sell a picture of their watch.

I know there are legally correct answers but how enforceable are they.

The film and music people have been grappling with copy right and pirates etc etc for years and are yet to find a workable answer.

For me life is to short to worry about such things but again for me this is a hobby, just for fun, and I never expected to make money from it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

Remember how upset people were when that other web site would not remove their images after it left the organization?

I think there is a difference between changing the way something is stored verses leaving a post up when the poster has specifically asked for it to be removed.

Alas external links are a problem because the internet is continually changing which makes having things in multiple places a problem if one side or the other changes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
Ben_hutcherson
Chapter Member

I quit posting photos on Global Horology a long time ago, and then finally quit posting all together due to the fact that Glynn won't allow externally hosted photos.

I've had phone conversations before with Bill Stuntz about uploading photos to the NAWCC board.

The bottom line is that I want to retain control of MY images. I don't worry so much about uploading here, but in general I don't want to upload them to a board.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Ben_hutcherson
Chapter Member

I have made my opinion known on the NAWCC board, and it seems as though the only way to stop this change in policy is to get the BOD involved.

I am going to put my "money where my mouth is" so to speak and get to work contacting BOD members to let them know how I feel about it. If anyone else feels as strongly about this as I do, now is the time to act.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

Another board I play on ( non watch ) allows members to create photo albums within the site.
You link your posts to the pictures in your album but you retain control over the album.
If you have a falling out as sometimes happens you can delete your album.
This is a compromise that allows you to retain control over your pictures but at the same time removes the problem of constantly changing external links that can be a bane to site admin. I believe that is why GH no longer allows external links.
You can also create private albums and choose who to share with.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Ben_hutcherson
Chapter Member

StephanG wrote:
I believe that is why GH no longer allows external links.

Do we really want to model anything that GH does?

Glyn's incessant micromanaging about this and pretty much every other aspect of the board is why I haven't even looked at the site in over a year.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

GH is a joke!

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:25 am Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

I am not defending anyone here.

I am just explaining why MANY board admins do not like external links.

They have enough to do as it is and I must admit it is a real pain looking at posts with broken links whatever they are talking about.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
Ben_hutcherson
Chapter Member

I commend newly elected BOD member John Cote for listening to me and talking to me about this issue this morning.

In any case, so far the only folks who have even bothered to respond(aside from Steve) to my concerns through the official channels on the board are message board moderators/admins, and the response has basically been that they're doing it and to pound sand.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Ben_hutcherson
Chapter Member

I also had a very nice conversation with Tim Orr earlier today and he expressed both some additional concerns that I didn't bring up as well as being receptive to what I said.

Let me also publicly thank and commend Tim for taking the time to talk to me.
NAWCC Message Board Conversion
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » ASK Rich Newman, assoc chairman