|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=d8ca32a89705f4b633c02621f7414801 profile.php?mode=register&sid=d8ca32a89705f4b633c02621f7414801 faq.php?sid=d8ca32a89705f4b633c02621f7414801 search.php?sid=d8ca32a89705f4b633c02621f7414801

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » The Watch Collectors' Journal » John sent me a topic from the green bored......... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

I know some collectors who collect CASH and GOLD (watches)--what story does that tell? Idea Wink

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:42 am Reply with quote
doc ron
Chapter Member

thats a good idea better than nys beaters and a bunch of trentons

doc ron

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Neilywatch
Chapter Member

doc ron wrote:
thats a good idea better than nys beaters and a bunch of trentons

doc ron

LOL

And I know someone who collects Trentons!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Because they live in Trenton, NJ? Idea

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Neilywatch
Chapter Member

Actually yes, He lives right outside Trenton.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Maybe the only reason to collect them!

THEY dislike 149 but they sure do read our MB-the proof
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

"To read a commentary about this thread on another board, there is disdain for most collections from the "elite" collectors who have the money to purchase rare, high end and desirable watches as opposed to most of us who collect for the joy of getting another watch just to listen to it tick or to get it running. A collection is just that, a group of watches, doesn't have to be rare, a particular grade etc."

This is preposterous--personally I have had many, many close personal friends over my 65 years of collecting and many were not wealthy but they sure had their themes for watch collecting. Take my good friend, the late Whit Joiner, the CW expert, he loved his watches and his goal was to capture as many diff. companies as he could afford. He did a good job and would pay up for some rarities. Wilbur Dexter, the renowned machinist and a close personal friend, had some money but he wanted to "hunt" for his rare watches. We have a young member named Ben who is studying and working hard to afford Walthams, 83s, 72s certain PLs, etc., etc., etc. He is doing his best to build a representative collection with the funds he has to buy what he likes. I am certain that he will be successful and graduate to rarer and finer watches. WHERE IS THE DISDAIN?

I could name well over 100 friends & collectors AND 149ers who certainly weren't/aren't in the "elite" category and they surely weren't/aren't second class citizen collectors.

I see this issue as outrageous and it appears that certain folks just want to be divisive, whine and cry--real malcontents, the jealous types!

Thore are many collectors WHO SIMPLY DON"T DO THEIR HOMEWORK and many others (with or without the dough) who don't now what the heck to buy so they become lost, jaded and just cry, cry, cry and/or make idiotic comments. THIS IS THEIR SHORTCOMING.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
scotttzorfas
Chapter Member

That comment is class warfare at its best.
Scott

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

Neilywatch wrote:
Well -

John Cote - what is your specialty - all the Pawn Shop Scores you ever made?

Wink Just Joking~

BTW, I just posted a rebuttal post to the "elitist" post on the NAWCC board. I found it offensive.

The stories/themes of my collection have changed over the years...as with many of us. One of my first themes was the Illinois Getty movement. I went after these with a passion in the 80s and 90s. The collection broadened to high grade or interesting Illinois watches which were sort of under the radar (hence my presentation "Collecting Illinois Watches Without Going Broke") I collected just about all of the 17j 18s Bunns. I liked the grade 65s private labels and private label Bunns and Bunn Specials. At some point I started to collect high grade watches from other companies like Elgin, Waltham etc. I have quite a few 16 and 18 size Elgins. Most of what I collect would not be typically deemed RR watches although I do have a few Ball watches in the collection.

You are right about my propensity for trying to find watches in the wild. I guess I got that from my dad. I don't find much at Pawn Shops anymore but I do find a lot at old jewelry stores. Something about finding a watch in the wild has much more appeal to me than buying at auction or in some other public forum. I like the hunt. Right now I am not buying a lot of watches because my job is too intense. However when I am in buying mode, I will snap up anything interesting which comes into view...if it is a decent deal. I am a buyer and a seller. My collection is totally financed by profit from selling watches and other things buy. So...some of what I have pictured and posted here is not in my collection. An awful lot of what I buy gets sold. I bought over 800 watches one year...back in the day. Very few of them ended up in my collection.

Right now my passion is '50s-70s chronograph wrist watches. I still buy pockets and I still add to my collection but most of what I keep these days is the Chronos.

John Cote (Member #105)
Membership Chairman - Ch-149
Past President - Ch-18
http://www.interstatetime.com
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

It appeared that quite a few of the folk are confused on this topic on the GB.

Millions and millions of watches were made and most are of the common, low grade and off condition variety. Who collects this common stuff like 7J Elgins and a multitude of 12s watches (not counting Swiss bar movements)--what is the point........just to have a pile of beaters to hold(for what reason) or to sell to the ignorant non watch folks?

A certain wise man said many times it is better to have one really good watch than a file of the type I just mentioned above. And there are many reasons for this which I don't think I need to explain unless someone needs help with this answer! Idea

Merry Christmas

Jon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

Jon,

You know I basically agree with you...but I will tell you that I have seen more than one interesting collection of lower grade watches. Our member Joe Jones, has a great and an interesting collection of mainly Elgins. It is a carefully put together collection with several themes and stories. A lot of his collection is high grade/great condition killer stuff but part of the collection is lower grade/lower production stuff that not many people are interested in. With this part of the collection Joe can tell you or me or anyone who will listen a story about how the Elgin factory developed watches and how they made watches.

I say this because while I agree that both of us have seen the junk pile collections....the hoards, I don't agree that all low jewel cheap stuff is necessarily boring. Joe and others have shown me that.

John Cote (Member #105)
Past President - Ch-18
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
geno
Chapter Member

Rips are always interesting be they high, low, junk or good. Twisted Evil
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Excuse me for not being clear--I was addressing "collections" of junk, not a JJ collection with a theme of a company. While JJ has some low grades, it is for his purpose--contrast that to my point of a pile of various Egins or other low grades and beaters.

I guess I do not pay any attention to low grade collections. In my opinion true collectors and most students strive to improve their collections--unlike accumulators and bundle buyers!

Last edited by Jon on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

Jon wrote:
Excuse me for not being clear--I was addressing "collections" of junk, not a JJ collection with a theme of a company. While JJ has some low grades, it is for his purpose--contrast that to my point of a pile of various Egins or other low grades and beaters.

Then, I guess, we completely agree.

John Cote (Member #105)
Past President - Ch-18
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:23 am Reply with quote
Ben_hutcherson
Chapter Member

I'll just say-I like my 83 Crescent Sts.

They're cheap and plentiful but every one of them is different and they are(mostly) enjoyable to just sit and look at.

I haven't counted in a while, but I think I passed 40 a good little while ago. Some are true gems, while others have issues. As I've bought them, I've started passing on examples that I found visually boring or ones similar to patterns I already had that had off-condition plates.

Since the dial is every bit as important to me on these, I've also become increasingly selective about only buying ones that have the correct dial(and have bought otherwise somewhat mundane ones because they had a really nice condition dial). BTW, I am quite firm on not dial swapping early Crescent Sts. I have IDed probably 6 or 8 different signatures(all of which have a passing similarity) and don't want to mix that up.

One of these days I need to sit down and write all of this up.
John sent me a topic from the green bored.........
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » The Watch Collectors' Journal