|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=a8ba6992c7a85548303b773adfb771c1 profile.php?mode=register&sid=a8ba6992c7a85548303b773adfb771c1 faq.php?sid=a8ba6992c7a85548303b773adfb771c1 search.php?sid=a8ba6992c7a85548303b773adfb771c1

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » The Watch Collectors' Journal » Mr. Ego Hijacks Another One Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

Neilywatch wrote:
That wasn't me.

That was Steve -

Whoops...what was going though my pea like old man brain. Sorry Neil...I changed it.

John Cote (Member #105)
Membership Chairman - Ch-149
Past President - Ch-18
http://www.interstatetime.com
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

I did say NOT ALL OF THEM.

The point I was trying to get at is that as they become more valuable it becomes more of a problem to store them and look after them.

Also if you wanted to study them they are not going to let you go and handle the good ones or take them to bits to check out the works.

You will always need watches to put on display but how many is enough.

One of each but that can be a big number depending on who you ask and what their criteria of difference is.

Pictures on the other hand are much easier to store and PROPER PICTURES taken using some of the equipment available today can, in my humble opinion, give you as much or perhaps more information than observation of the real thing.

The big lump of gold wrapped around the watch is nice to see but again how many do you need to see and the watches would still be around in private collections just like the majority are now so in theory you could still go see them if you really really needed to.

Proud member of CH149 and Global Horology
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Bryan
Chapter Member

StephanG wrote:
I did say NOT ALL OF THEM.

The point I was trying to get at is that as they become more valuable it becomes more of a problem to store them and look after them.

Also if you wanted to study them they are not going to let you go and handle the good ones or take them to bits to check out the works.

You will always need watches to put on display but how many is enough.

One of each but that can be a big number depending on who you ask and what their criteria of difference is.

Pictures on the other hand are much easier to store and PROPER PICTURES taken using some of the equipment available today can, in my humble opinion, give you as much or perhaps more information than observation of the real thing.

The big lump of gold wrapped around the watch is nice to see but again how many do you need to see and the watches would still be around in private collections just like the majority are now so in theory you could still go see them if you really really needed to.

NAWCC#132532
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

Trouble with you lot you are stuck in the past.

Check this out.

https://sketchfab.com/models/814c1fa7c1894789b91b6884102d1f90

You can do the same thing with photos instead of renderings.

It is becoming common place around here to sell real estate using virtual 3d tours.

Imagine if you did this with some of those really rare watches normally locked away in the vault.

Anyone could look at them and turn them this way and that.

You could do the same with the movement.

Now you have something people can admire easily or study at length. Zoom in on the bit that concerns you.

Once you have the information why do you need to keep the item ?

A collector would because he enjoys owning such things but a Museum serves a different purpose. They only want the information about the item. Once you have all the information why not sell it and use the cash to buy something else you don't have.

This was done with photos. Think I have posted it before but if you missed it here tis again
https://sketchfab.com/models/88f83ea9bc23411e91d5fe8d5323bb9c

This is good enough that you can turn the machine upside down and study the construction of the tool box attached to the underside of the roof on the fly wheel side.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
geno
Chapter Member

Yes just take a picture of the Mona Lisa and sell it to raise cash for something special you don't have. Geno
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

I guarantee that more people know about and have studied the Mona Lisa than have ever gone to the Museum to actually look at it because it has been so widely photographed and copied.

There are also many many works of art in private hands that are on loan to Museums or special shows put on from time to time.

THE MUSEUM doesn't have to own them all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
geno
Chapter Member

There is simply nothing like the original, photos do not capture the nuances of the actual object. We will simply have to disagree on this one Geno
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
Ben_hutcherson
Chapter Member

In many cases, a simple request to examine a museum piece hands-on will be granted without much trouble. Of course, a curator will be present and taking the piece apart will be off limits, but it's not like museum pieces are under glass to never be seen.

Some museums have forms to make this request. In the absence of this, a letter or email to the curator detailing the specific specific pieces and the reason("personal research" is generally a perfectly valid reason) will be sufficient. They will also generally permit you to photograph pieces, although there may be stipulations attached to this(museum gets the copyright, permission from them to republish, etc).

The only watch I've taken apart in a museum was when I was asked to write an appraisal opinion on Henry Clay's watch and that was the only way I could really give a good description of what it was. That was between the time when it was donated and put on display, and a friend of mine was asked to appraise the watch along with a few other donated items. Unfortunately, what should have been a high quality English lever ended up being somewhat of a disappointment.

I've never tried at the NAWCC museum, but I suspect that it wouldn't be an issue for a member there. I have examined several watches in the Kentucky Historical Society collection, including their Lincoln watch.

I'm going to the Henry Ford museum in a few months, and plan on at least requesting to examine a few pieces(an 8 day and a few others). For those who don't know, Henry Ford was an avid watch collector, and the Ford museum has a pretty extensive collection of early Waltham family pieces. I've even seen letters from the 20s and 30s with the factory archives offering to "barter" certain pieces with Ford.

BTW, many curators are somewhat introverted and in my experience it can make their day to have someone legitimately interested in items in the collection actually intelligently discuss it with them.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Neilywatch
Chapter Member

O Man

You getting to hold the Howard, Davis, and Dennison 8-Day in hand - or is it the Marsh Watch?!

I'm totally nerding out here - Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Marsh movement is at the Ford Museum, recently unearthed--they didn't even know they had it.

Neil, just you wait for my new web site with a few items that just might give you cardiac arrest.

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

geno wrote:
There is simply nothing like the original, photos do not capture the nuances of the actual object. We will simply have to disagree on this one Geno

I do agree with this and I do agree that Museums will allow a person to examine items if the proper requests are made. I have done this myself.

However I also suspect that if, just as an example, a dedicated collector of some make of early American watch approached Jon and wanted to see something special there is a sporting chance that it might happen.

It doesn't have to all be done by the Museum but a Museum is in a position to do things a private collector can not if they wish.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

opps

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

If I understand you correctly, are you addressing loans to museums for display or discussion?

There has developed a new problem with insurance AND the issue of museum loans--once I loaned Hamilton # 3 for a specific exercise and I considered my self very lucke (years ago) when the item was returned in a broken package with a scotch tape wrapping! Never again for me!

Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:10 am Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

That is a perfect example of how NOT TO DO IT

Proper Museums with properly qualified staff and the correct procedures in place borrow and loan things all the time.

https://fashionjournal.com.au/fashion/huge-cartier-exhibition-coming-australia/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:14 am Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

Jon wrote:
If I understand you correctly, are you addressing loans to museums for display or discussion?

There has developed a new problem with insurance AND the issue of museum loans--once I loaned Hamilton # 3 for a specific exercise and I considered my self very lucke (years ago) when the item was returned in a broken package with a scotch tape wrapping! Never again for me!

Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

This also proves that precious items are better off in private hands

Mr. Ego Hijacks Another One
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » The Watch Collectors' Journal