|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=4fa13a500018618e354efb0ef24cf895 profile.php?mode=register&sid=4fa13a500018618e354efb0ef24cf895 faq.php?sid=4fa13a500018618e354efb0ef24cf895 search.php?sid=4fa13a500018618e354efb0ef24cf895

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » A Message from Tom Wilcox, Esq. » Tom Wilcox's 3/3 report
Tom Wilcox's 3/3 report
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Executive Director's Weekly Newsletter 03/03/2019
Sun, Mar 3, 2019 6:26 am
Tom Wilcox, Esq., NAWCC Executive Director (twilcox@nawcc.org)
To:you Details

03.03.19- You are receiving this email as a courtesy of the author, or as a member and friend of the NAWCC. You can also view this Sunday message, with all the pictures, on the NAWCC
website under the Message Board. Also access former emails. SEE BELOW for more details.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
- Thomas A. Edison
This is no time for ease and comfort. It is time to dare and endure.
- Winston Churchill

Dear NAWCC Friends and Members:

Our above quotes evoke the challenge to keep up the hard work and commitment to see our community of the NAWCC and our smaller, local communities in our Chapters grow, improve, and persevere in trying new means and new ways to invite and attract more participation.

Our communities are close and comfortable, but we must not relax, seek the easy way of status quo, and settle for the same old past practices and results, if we want to encourage and enlist the future generation of horologists to keep the fires burning, and bring them into engagement with our meetings, events, and activities. That attraction can come from fun and engaging meetings, friendly attitudes and kind treatment, relevant topics and themes to attract new guests, targeting novel and unique demographics, and offering solid information and education programs for those who are intrigued and want to learn more.

Emily Immel, our educational programs lead, and I left a very active and thriving Lone Star Regional where we took a lathe course with Mike Dempsey and were able to talk at length with Mike, Lex Rooker (who came all the way from Chapter 190 in California to meet with us), Pam Tischler, Pete Cronos (FSW Administrator, stepping down), Gary Combes (new instructor in Pensacola area), Mary Ellen Bell and Nick Lerescu (Horological Educational Travel Chapter 179), Pat Holloway, and other education-invested members (Dave Gorell was around but I missed him) during our visit to Mesquite.

Chapter 124 and their surrounding chapters are offering strong educational programs with their meetings and their regionals. Chapter 190 also performs well in this pursuit. Emily, Corrine Dedrick, and I back at HQ are braining storming with other educators, including Ken DeLuca, Al Dodson, Dave Lindow, Berhard Stoeber, Joe Jabbour, and Dan Fenwick, about new ways to present our educational resources in a more effective and compelling way, and in new forms of media to recruit younger, fledgling horologists with educational enticements, and push them to their local chapters to join and learn more, following up on what they may encounter with an on-line based educational modules. More to report on that later.

With respect to all this talent we are consulting, their consistent dedication to sharing their knowledge and experience with others in our community, as well as passion and desire to see the NAWCC raise the bar on education, is a great encouragement to Emily and me. These subject matter and teaching professionals have spent many long hours building and preparing courses, presentations, materials, as well as organizing and traveling great distances to support and serve our organization from coast to coast, and sometimes around the world, promoting and creating learning experiences for others.

Not to be overlooked, when mentioning volunteers and having just left a warm and welcoming regional event, are all the committees and chapter volunteers that put on regionals and other events, like the Lone Star Regional, as well as all the other scheduled ones behind and ahead. Some shots are hopefully going to be loaded below from the regional including load in, Fellow awards presented by Board member Carroll Wolfe, the banquet crowd, Mike Dempsey teaching, to name a few:

We, as an organization, have not done a great job of appreciating and recognizing MANY of our regional and local volunteers who, despite setbacks, frustrations, criticism, neglect, hard work, and sacrifices, instead endure, press forward, and keep trying to do their best to offer their resources for the good of the membership and horology. I know I can do better to show appreciation to them. I am thankful and grateful to them and all the other wonderful friends of the NAWCC who contribute their time and energy for the rest of us. Thank you for sticking in there, trying one more time, and daring and enduring for the good of our NAWCC community.

NAWCC COMMUNITY

Speaking of volunteers, HQ recently experienced a loss among our Library volunteers. It is with great sadness that I bring you this news. Daniel Conklin has passed away on February 17th from a heart attack at the age of 74. Dan was a very active member of local horological Guild and volunteered at the NAWCC Museum and Research Library. Dan was one of the first volunteers who I met when I started the job. HE was a very friendly, warm, and positive type of guy. I understand Dan was a great carpenter, clockmaker, musician, Mason, Veteran, and could fix anything. One of Dan's favorite hobbies was riding his mule “Penny”. About 5 years ago Dan was living in Maryland, sold his river front vacation property on the Susquehanna River, and bought a property in Havre de Grace and opened bed & breakfasts. Dan served in the United States Navy and was on the ship blockade during the Cuban missile crisis. Some very beautiful hand carved wooden clocks were made by Dan. He is survived by his wife Hannah and his children. Dan will be sorely missed; he was one of the nicest guys I ever met and enjoyed many good conversations and encounters with him.

CHECKING IN AT COLUMBIA
The National Watch and Clock Museum and NAWCC Board member Philip Morris was featured on the Hearst Media Stitch program. We are asking them to change the name from American Watch Museum to its proper name. To see the coverage go to:
https://www.facebook.com/AmericanAnecdotes/videos/394103911147196/?v=394103911147196

FRIENDS OF THE MUSEUM
Last Saturday, our good friends at RGM Watches and long time supporter, Roland Murphy hosted a free tour of the NAWCC Museum. Roland arranged for the normal museum fee to be waived so it was a totally free treat for many attendees. Roland encouraged support and donations to the museum while he gave a very exhaustive and informative tour of the museum collection, featuring items in the museum that he personally likes and feels are significant. There were many items of interest covered by Roland during the event, including clocks, watches, complicated watches, watchmaking tools, machinery, and much more. Thank you Roland! See below:

I am quickly entering in my Sunday weekly message while 35 minutes away from boarding a flight our of Dallas Love Air Field back to BWI. The photos are not loading, the SW announcements are calling me to board and I hope to load some photos when I get to BWI, and hopefully before midnight.

Given time and length challenges, I will re-print some items called “REWINDS” These are important items that continue to be updated or reprinted so as not to be forgotten.

REWINDS...

MAKE TIME TO… VOTE NOW...YOU HAVE UNTIL MIDNIGHT, APRIL 1ST!

NEW: LAST ELECTION WE HAD 15% OF THE MEMBERSHIP VOTE IN THE ELECTION. THIS YEAR WE ARE RUNNING AT 9%. OUR ANNUAL GIVING IS UP 27% FROM LAST YEAR AND OUR MEMBER ATTRITION RATE IS -1% COMPARED LAST YEAR WITH -7%. LETS MAKE OUR VOTING RATE ALSO SHOW POSITIVE RESULTS WITH AN INCREASE FROM LAST TIME!

The 2019 NAWCC election is in progress. We are voting on three (3) NAWCC Board Directors and one (1) Nominating and Elections Committee Member.

The Nominating and Elections Committee (NEC) worked very hard to find some of the most qualified members that will be shaping the NAWCC for the next four years. The candidate resumes are posted on line and appeared in the January/February Watch and Clock Bulletin. For viewing on line, go to nawcc.org front page to the banner announcing the election. The candidates represent various regions of our country, diverse horological interests and strong business and professional backgrounds.

The independent election firm, Election-America, released email ballots on January 10 to all NAWCC members with email addresses registered with our Membership Services Department. On the same day, they mailed a form (USPS) to all members that did not have email addresses registered asking them to furnish email addresses or request a paper ballot.

YOUR vote is VERY important to the future governance of the NAWCC Association. If you have not voted, please go on line and vote your choice. If you have voted, please accept our "Thank You" for your sincere interest in the future of the NAWCC.

SOMETHING NEW

NAWCC Clockworks Festival, April 13, 2019
The NAWCC Clockwork Festival will be held April 13, 2019 at the NAWCC Museum and World HQ building and grounds from 10 AM until 4 PM. Food and drinks will be available for purchase.

The event is to entertain, educate, and introduce horology to enthusiasts of Make, steampunk, automatons, and related kinetic and gear working objects, engineering, art, science, and history. “Ask a Horologist” sessions hosted by many of our member horologists participating in the event, as well as Rose Engine turning demonstrations by Dave Lindow will be offered. We will have 2-3 panel presentations on the connection between horology and autonoma/steampunk/creative gear contraptions and the how and why to constructing these gear-related creations, in addition to a Steampunk band and cosplay creator/performers featured throughout the day.

The event is structured to gather people from all locations and interests to share ideas, build relationships, and grow interest in horology, automata, and other gear-related activities, new and old. On hand will be NAWCC members and friends displaying and presenting on their clock, automata, steampunk, and gear-inspired skills, contraptions, and creations like Gary Sullivan, Dave Lindow, and Don Dodson. Representatives from AutomataCon including Brett King, curators from the Morris Museum Guinness Collection, including Michele Marinelli and Jere Ryder, and journalist/makers, including Andrew Terranova, will also be there actively engaged and participating.

www.nawcc.org/clockfest

NAWCC member Gary Sullivan is going to attend and participate. He will bring his steam engine top hat and steam operated bicycle and something else he is working on. Here is just a glimpse: See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4pRFXD_lE
and
https://www.flickr.com/photos/71979298@N08/41610469404

We will also have on hand the Night Watch Paradox see: http://nightwatchparadox.com/ and a phono fiddler named Keith Engle offering performances at the event. This a fantastic, gearworks-oriented and educational event to understand and celebrate the connections between gears, clocks, watches, autonoma, steampunk, and horology; all different stories of TIME.

Partners In Time: Annual Appeal - Members Make It Happen!

http://files.constantcontact.com/9aefe509001/aff0010a-e897-44fa-b5b9-ad7eb176d397.gif
Thank You To Everyone Who Has Donated!
If you haven't yet contributed to the Partner's In Time: Annual Appeal, there's still time --- Make a Contribution Today!

I appreciate your feedback and look forward to deliver information that will keep you inspired, encouraged, and informed. If you don’t get the email messages on Sunday and want to, please update your contact information, including your email addresses to our membership team, care of Christa Eckert at ceckert@nawcc.org.

You are also free to and encouraged to forward and share this and any NAWCC messages to friends, relatives, and all others you believe would be interested in hearing about the NAWCC. This can be a new and easy way for you to grow our membership and invite others to your chapter meetings and NAWCC events.

Keep up the good work you are doing and the support you lend to our work and efforts. WE ALL can make a difference for our passion and the NAWCC perpetuating that passion to all generations for all time!

We are the world's largest museum, research library, educational institution, and international community dedicated to clocks, watches, time, and timekeeping.

We are committed to being the premier educator and advocate for horology and everyone interested in the stories of time.

We share the stories of TIME…

You can now view this Sunday message, with all the pictures, on the NAWCC website under the Message Board. This new area for Executive Director postings will also allow for communicating NAWCC specific updates, timely notices, and messages to the membership on the Message Board and opening a little more space for horological informative and educational matters on the Sunday morning posts.

For past Sunday emails with images on the NAWCC.org Message Board.
go to:
https://mb.nawcc.org/wiki/Executive-Directors-Weekly-Newsletter

*As a helpful reminder, please remember that sometimes these photos need to be downloaded by right clicking in the left or right top corner of the photo, where there is an "x" or by right clicking to open the scroll list and look for "download pictures" to click on. With AOL accounts, it seems that hitting the "REPLY" button downloads the images. That may help in revealing the pictures. For our overseas friends, you might try double-clicking the picture, as a link has attempted to be attached to the image.

I am back on Facebook, so look for photos and videos posted there as well:

https://www.facebook.com/thomas.wilcox.1690

SAVVY LIVING
How to Choose a Good Home Stair Lift
Can you provide some information about stair lifts? I have a difficult time getting up and down the stairs and am interested in purchasing a stair lift for my house but could use some help choosing one.
Click to read more

PERSONAL PLANNER
Gifts of Land
Many friends of charities have benefited from a gift of land or a gift of land with a building or other structure. There are two main benefits for this gift.
Click to read more

WASHINGTON NEWS
Average Income Tax Refund Up 1.3%
On February 28, the IRS reported an increase in tax refunds. The average 2019 refund amount of $3,143 is 1.3% higher than last year's average. The increased refunds reflect tax returns that claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax...
Click to read more

FINANCES
Stocks - Macy's Announces Earnings and Restructuring Read more
Bonds - Manufacturing Index Report Boosts Treasury Yields Read more
CDs and Mortgages - Little Movement for Mortgage Rates Read more

DONOR STORY
Gift Annuity for Real Estate
Jonathan purchased a home many years ago for $80,000. The home has appreciated substantially over the years and is now worth $420,000.
Click to read more

This eNewsletter and our planned giving web site are provided to our members and friends as a free service. Please feel free to call me at 717-684-8261, ext. 209, or at twilcox@nawcc.org with any questions or comments or if you do not want to receive this newsletter. Thank you for your interest in the NAWCC. To access our financial and gift planning information and planning calculators, please click here.

All the best of TIME to you.....
Tom Wilcox, Esq. - Executive Director
National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors,Inc.
We share the stories of TIME.....

twilcox@nawcc.org
p: 717.684.8261 Ext.209
If outside the US you can call or text me for free internationally on WhatsApp or WeChat at 610 213 1489.

We are the world's largest museum, research library, educational institution, and international community dedicated to clocks, watches, time, and timekeeping.

We are committed to being the premier educator and advocate for horology and everyone interested in the study of time.

WE SHARE THE STORIES OF TIME...
By the way, please go onto Facebook and like and share our NAWCC posts and the posts of all the NAWCC Chapters. Also, please feel free to share this email Bulletin with all your friends.
Spread the word about the NAWCC anyway you can to all your Social Media contacts, like us, follow us, join us and share us at:
https://www.facebook.com/thomas.wilcox.1690

https://www.facebook.com/nawcc

https://www.facebook.com/watcheditor

https://www.facebook.com/NAWCCresponse
The National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, Inc. issues Charitable Gift Annuities in many but not all of the 50 US states. Please check with the Executive Director to see if they are available in your state.

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
Tom Wilcox's 3/3 report
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » A Message from Tom Wilcox, Esq.